Lynsey Addario Book Report

 Reading “It's What I do”

One of my favorite parts of photojournalism has been reading “It's what I do” by Lynsey Addario. When I first found out we were going to read this book I felt a little upset, I feel like everyone feels a certain way about an assigned reading. I quickly found myself admiring Lynsey Addario’s work and writing, there were times where I couldn't stop reading. Though there were many riveting stories Addario told throughout her book, my favorite was at the very beginning. Lynsey Addario starts off her book by introducing us to where everything kind of began for her. In the year 2000, Addario takes a leap of faith and goes to India with a family friend, not knowing what was in store for her. Throughout the beginning of Chapter 2, we get an insight of her life in India. She paints a picture of walking and photographing different parts of India, including Varanasi and Calcutta. She also talks about experiencing new people, hearing different perspectives and life stories, as well as the different kinds of work she did. More specifically, she narrated shooting for Houston Chronicle, Boston Globe, as well as the AP and Science Monitor. Addario stated, “The country was a photographer's ideal laboratory.” The morning and evening life illuminated a rainbow of brilliant, saturated hues:”. Out of all of the compelling and interesting stories I read throughout completing this book, I decided to pick this one because I found it inspiring. Though we hear about her passion for photography and her adventures in Buenos Aires and Cuba, if Lynsey had not made a choice to take a risk, she would not have been led to all the opportunities that provided such amazing experiences and photos throughout her life and career.

 Lynsey Addario talks about her photography throughout her book and in a variety of interviews. One of my favorite things I read was her learning different things from Bebeto. Including the “art of patience”, being uncomfortable, as well as the power of a camera. Addario’s work is different from other photographers, a main thing that is included in her photography is the way she makes viewers feel. Her photography provides a world wind of emotions, sadness, anxiousness, happiness, loss, anger, as well as discomfort. Which I feel inspired me throughout this term, especially on our final project. Being uncomfortable and patient has been a key aspect in getting good and not awkward photos. Addario’s photos have a sense of invasion, intimacy, and baffling. Addario’s work often reminded me of Diane Arbus’s work, in the way that a lot of what you are viewing is uncomfortable, surreal, and often horrifying. For example, when she talks about photographing the loss of  Rougle in The Korengal Valley during Operation Rock Avalanche. A lot of people view what she does and think it is insane. While I agree, I think that she is an amazing example of a person who is determined and passionate about sharing human rights issues and problems. I do in some way relate to her duty in photographing conflict zones, not as severe but in some ways I can see the desire. 

I have really enjoyed reading this book, I would and have encouraged other people to read it. Today I was telling my mom about how inspiring and kind of insane “It's what I do” is. I think everyone should read about her experiences and see her pictures, they are informing and eye opening. I feel like I have a new perspective on a variety of things. One of my favorite photos is of Sergeant Rice being helped by two other soldiers after he was shot in the stomach in Korengal Valley. I think this photo is a great example of Addario’s work. It shows the reality of war and tragedy, it gives you an intimate insight of what being in a situation like that is like. Another one of my favorite photos is in Chapter 4 “Young Afghans listen to music publicly after the fall of the Taliban'' hearing the background information of this photo is a big reason why it is one of my favorites, how things were tense with the writer she was paired with, the pressure to take risks, and so forth. My all-time favorite image is titled “Syrian refugees dance at a wedding celebration in a refugee camp in Marj El-Khokh, in Marjayoun, Syria. The father of the groom said, “We want to create life out of death…. People should not continue to be morbid”. This is my favorite photo because I think it is a great example of what it is to be human. You do the best you can do; in this photo they are making the best out of their circumstances. Addario captures the emotion and energy through the photo so well. It’s unlike a lot of her photos, I like it because it shows a sense of hope. I have appreciated the opportunity to read this book and share it with others. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the job (Week four)

My first blog post!

Week Three Photos